Sage ~ Salvia officinalis



Wow. I am just amazed at the medicinal profile of sage! If you do your research, you will find many more health benefits from this beautiful and giving herb. 💚

Before using please check for any drug interactions and possible side effects. 

I'll be making a batch of sage infused honey with this harvest. You can use fresh or dried sage. If using fresh I fill my jar about 1/2 full of chopped sage. If using dried I fill about 1/4 full.

Next I'll slowly add my raw honey, then I'll take a chop stick and gently mix. I'll cover with a lid and set on my counter to infuse for 4 - 6 weeks. 

I'll taste it at 4 weeks, if it isn't strong enough I'll check it again at 5 weeks, and so on. The plant material does have a tendency to float to the top of the jar. What I do is flip the jar to the other end every day.

When finished, you can leave the sage in the honey or strain. If you choose to strain, it is easier if you heat the honey first. 

Just be sure to do so over a very low heat and not for very long as heat does destroy the medicinal properties of the honey. 

If I'm using dried sage I'll leave my finished honey in my kitchen cabinet. If I'm using fresh I store in the refrigerator.

This batch will be used for aiding the symptoms associated with sore throats, colds, flu, and sinus infections. 

I find taking a teaspoon of the honey a couple times a day to work quite well. Also added in a warm cup of tea. Could be a sage tea or any other herbal tea. 

Sage ~ Salvia officinalis

aka: common sage, garden sage

Family: Lamiaceae ; mint family

Genus: Salvia

Species: S. officinalis

Medicinal Properties:

anti-inflammatory
anti-bacterial
anti-microbial
astringent

How to use:

tinctures
infused honey
teas
infusions
infused oils

Uses:

colds
flu
sore throats
sinus infections
lowering blood glucose
memory enhancement
tonsillitis
bronchitis
asthma
diabetes