Wild violet ~ Viola sororia

Wild violet ~ Viola sororia

One of my favorite spring time herbs. I harvested a fairly big 

basket of the leaves and flowers today.  And my yard is still full of them! 


Medicinal Properties: 

demulcent 
anti inflammatory 
expectorant 
lymphagogue 
vulnerary 
antitumor  
diuretic 
mild laxative

Parts Used:
flowers and leaves 

Used For:
food - high in vitamin A and C, delicious mixed in with salad greens, 
sore throats, flower essences, 
lymphatic congestion, 
breast health, dry skin issues - eczema, dry, itchy skin rashes

I'll be infusing some of the fresh flowers and leaves in raw honey. That will be used for sore throats.  

As a demulcent, violets contain within their leaves and flowers what is called mucilage. This mucilage soothes the inflammation and pain associated with sore throats by providing a protective coating that lubricates the inflamed tissues in the throat.  

The violet honey is really easy to make. I take the fresh flowers and leaves, ( I leave the flowers as it but I do like to chop the leaves up in smaller pieces, however, you can use them whole if desired ) add to a glass jar. I fill my jar about 3/4 of the way full. Slowly pour your raw honey over the plant material. I use a butter knife to gently mix and poke the plant into the honey. After adding a lid I like to set mine on the counter where I can keep an eye on it.

You will find that the plant does float up to the top of the jar, when that happens I just turn the jar upside down. I'll the same throughout the infusing process. I like to let mine infuse for 2 weeks. Some people go 3 weeks. Just depends on your preference.

When finished, you can leave the plant in the honey and use as is, or you can strain the plant out. If you choose to strain, it does help if you heat the honey over a very low heat. This will thin it out and make it easier to strain. Just be sure to use that low heat and not for very long as heat does destroy some of the medicinal properties of the honey.

I keep my finished honey sitting the counter. If someone is experiencing a sore throat they'll take a teaspoon every 3-4 hours. It's also good when added to a warm cup of tea. Especially good with wild violet flower tea. 


Viola reichenbachiana LC0128.jpg
photo credit - Jorg Hempel
A tea made with the fresh or dried flowers and or leaves is also helpful for the throat. I find taking the infused honey by the spoonful and drinking the warm tea to be the most effective with a sore throat. Noting that when using the infused honey refrain from drinking anything for a while as to not rinse the honey from the throat area. So I drink my tea first then take the honey. 

Demulcent plants contain a very special constituent. It's a polysaccharide molecular complex called mucilage, which has the propensity to become very slimy and gummy when it comes in contact with water. Mucilage is a thick gooey substance produced by many plants. Reference 

The mucilage also helps to loosen and expel mucous from the lungs when it’s too dry for coughing to expel. ~ Jim Mcdonald  Reference

I'll also be making a flower essence with those beautiful violet flowers. The color violet is associated with the crown chakra, which is located on the top of your head. The crown chakra is associated with connecting one to a higher state of consciousness.

Also aides in the moving of stagnant and blocked internal energy - Thus assisting those who are feeling isolated, lonely and or experiencing the inability to connect with others. Assisting those who are experiencing the feeling of being closed off from that higher state of consciousness. 

For information on making your own flower essence, click here 
For more information on the discovery of flower essences, do a search on Dr. Bach - flower essences. His work on flower essences has opened the door for others to learn and further expand on the mental and emotional healing capabilities of flowers. Thank you, Dr. Bach.

I've come across some herbalists who have had success in using violet for treating headaches. I personally can attest that there is relief for the pain associated with headaches. When I eat gluten, which is normally not part of my diet, however, sometimes it just happens, I get these really intense headaches. As soon as I felt one coming on, I made myself a very strong warm tea with the fresh flowers and leaves. I drank 2 cups within an hour, and I tell you, no headache. I was amazed. Usually when I get gluten headaches, they last for hours. Now, I have heard the dried plant is more potent. So far I've just used the fresh. But I'll definitely be drying some for when the fresh is not available.

For lymphatic congestion - if you have ever experienced swollen lymph glands - neck and throat area, that is due to a stagnant lymphatic system. A violet infusion gently flushes and gets the natural flow of fluid moving again. For the infusion, I take a small handful of fresh or dried, leaves and flowers, add that to a pint jar, fill with warm water. Once it reaches room temperature refrigerate over night then strain. I'll sip on that throughout 2 -3 days.   

The lymphatic system is a network of tissues and organs that help rid the body of toxins, waste and other unwanted materials. The primary function of the lymphatic system is to transport lymph, a fluid containing infection-fighting white blood cells, throughout the body. The lymphatic system primarily consists of lymphatic vessels, which are similar to the veins and capillaries of the circulatory system. The vessels are connected to lymph nodes, where the lymph is filtered. The tonsils, adenoids, spleen and thymus are all part of the lymphatic system. Reference 

I want to also add that violet is also used by herbalists for breast health. An infused oil is used as a breast and lymph node - the underarm area, massage oil. Also for internally, tincture and infusions. Do an online search on Susun Weed - violet breast health. She has some books out and also gives classes pertaining to this area.   👍