Spearmint - mentha spicata - for the body and hair

love the smell and taste of spearmint. I like infusing it in my water to drink and making spearmint flavored ice-cubes. You can put a few sprigs in a spray jar, fill with water and keep it in the frig. Then use that as a mister on those hot summer days and nights. It's so cooling and refreshing. 

Medicinal properties  

antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties are calming to stomach muscles. So sipping on a cup of tea can help with digestive issues, nausea, gas, bloating and menstrual cramps.

 Did you know that spearmint stimulates your hair follicles and helps to maintain the natural pH of your scalp? And using on a regular basis as a hot oil treatment can give you healthy, shiny hair and a healthier scalp? To use as a hot oil treatment, massage about 1 tablespoon (or more depending how long your hair is) of spearmint infused oil into your scalp and all the way down to the ends. Leave it in for 20 minutes then wash and rinse hair as usual.You could even add a little fresh or dried rosemary with your spearmint before infusing. Rosemary helps stimulate hair growth. Some say it prevents balding and also slows graying of the hair and helps with dry scalp - which can lead to dandruff.

*Update 

I've been using the spearmint infused oil on my hair once a month for several months now. Having long curly hair, the ends sometimes had a tendency of becoming dry. Now my hair is soft, silky and shinier from the roots to the ends! I love it! 😍      

I first warm some of the oil in a double boiler then apply to my dry hair, starting at the roots all the way down to the ends. I massage it into my scalp for a few minutes, twist into a bun to the top of my head, then wrap a piece of saran wrap around my hair securing it in place. Yes, I know that may sound a little strange, but believe me, it works. The saran wrap holds in the warmth of the oil which helps it to absorb and moisturize deeper into the hair shaft. After 20 minutes I shampoo and condition as usual.